Lodi Veterinary Care is pleased to offer an extensive list of equine services to suit your horse’s individual needs. The links listed below will give you a tour of the services we provide. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. We welcome your comments, suggestions, and feedback.
Our doctors are on-call 24 hours a day for any emergencies. We have the ability to take most diagnostic equipment to the farm if needed.
From colic, to lacerations, foaling, or ocular emergencies and a wide variety of other ailments, our veterinarians are here to provide immediate assistance.
Health & Wellness
Our health and wellness services include, but are not limited to:
- Coggins testing
- Dental exams and floats
- Ophthalmology exams
- Nutrition counseling
- Geriatric healthcare
- Laboratory testing and diagnostics
- Podiatry and lameness prevention
- Metabolic workups – testing for insulin resistance and/or Cushing’s Disease
Our veterinarians are here to help keep your horses happy and healthy. We can formulate a vaccination plan, discuss a parasite control program, and perform a ration analysis that is individualized to your horse’s needs.
All of our doctors have a special interest in dentistry. We realize the importance a good dental care program in equine health management. We keep up to date on the newest techniques for corrective and maintenance dentistry, while investing in the best available equipment.
The goal of a pre-purchase examination is to identify factors that could affect the horse’s suitability for the intended purpose. Although a pre-purchase examination doesn’t guarantee the future soundness of the horse, it may reveal certain conditions and indicate the horse would be unable to meet your expectations.
A full pre-purchase exam, with written report and photos includes:
- Conformation evaluation
- Palpation of musculoskeletal system
- Lameness evaluation with flexion tests of all limbs
- Ophthalmic exam
- Cardiovascular exam
- Respiratory system exam
- Radiographs or other imaging
- Bloodwork: Complete Blood Count (CBC), chemistry panel, coggins test, or other tests as indicated. We will also draw blood if drug testing is desired.
We are happy to customize our pre-purchase examination to address your specific concerns.
Pro-Stride is an Autologous (meaning of the same individual) Protein Solution used to treat joint inflammation and arthritis. It is created by collecting blood from your own horse, and then processing and centrifuging that blood to make a very concentrated solution containing important healing factors (cells, platelets, growth factors, and anti-inflammatory proteins such as Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist protein, or IRAP). This solution is then administered via joint injection where it works by blocking inflammatory proteins, called cytokines, within the joint. Left unblocked, these inflammatory cytokines contribute to an inflammatory cascade that results in cartilage breakdown, pain, and reduced function.
Pro-Stride is a natural, steroid-free treatment that has no drug withholding times for horses competing at the FEI or USEF levels. Because Pro-Stride is a steroid free treatment it does not have the negative side-effects that may be associated with traditional joint injections and it is safe for use in adolescent horses, horses prone to laminitis, or horses with Cushings Disease, Insulin Resistance, or Equine Metabolic Syndrome.
The entire process from blood collection to treatment injection takes less than one hour and is completed on the farm. In studies, this new regenerative treatment has provided up to one year of pain relief from a single treatment (A. Bertone, Am J Vet Res 2014; 75:141-151).
For stallions and mares considered for breeding, Lodi Veterinary Care offers extensive reproductive consultation, services, and technologies including:
- Mare and stallion breeding soundness examinations
- Semen collection: fresh, cooled, or frozen
- Infertility evaluation
- Artificial Insemination
- Reproductive ultrasound services, including verifying for pregnancy
- Pregnant mare care
- New foal health examinations
- CEM testing
- Foaling assistance
- Equine Embryo Transfer: Equine embryo transfer is a procedure performed by a veterinarian that transfers a fertilized egg (embryo) from a donor mare to a recipient mare. The recipient mare serves as a surrogate and she will carry the pregnancy to term. When the foal is born, it retains the DNA of the original donor mare and the stallion to which she was bred.
- Digital radiography: Our digital x-ray system allows us to see the x-rays almost instantaneously and stall-side.
- Extracorporeal shockwave therapy: Shockwave therapy uses a tightly focused beam of energy waves which penetrate the skin and muscle tissue to reach injured ligaments and bones. This therapy speeds up the healing process and ultimately achieve better healing.
- Laser therapy
- Advanced regenerative therapies
- Stem cell therapy
- Platelet Rich Plasma therapy (PRP)
- Interleukin 1 Receptor Antagonist (IRAP) Treatment
- Pro-Stride injections
- Game Ready System: Delivering dry cold and active compression, Game Ready Equine utilizes the same physical therapy and athletic training principles that human athletes rely on.
- Cryptorchid surgery (in the hospital): surgical removal of a testicle that has failed to descend normally into the scrotal sac and may have remained in the abdomen or inguinal canal
- Dental extractions
- Hernia repair
- Laceration evaluation, cleaning, and repair
- Other elective surgeries such as enucleation (eye removal), mass removal, and more.