- Heat Detection
- Identifying optimal timing to execute insemination during timed A/I
- Determining standing heat for standard A/I breeding
- Determining Cycling
- Synchronization Protocols
- Quality control indicator for Breeding specialists
- Pinpoint timing for executing breeding
- ESTROTECT™ Breeding Indicators should be warmed to 100ºF or 38ºC immediately prior to application to activate adhesive. ESTROTECT Breeding Indicators should be soft and flexible at application for optimal adhesion.
- Small quantities (less than 5 Breeding Indicators) may be warmed inside clothing. For large quantities, put the Indicators in a small cooler with a hot water bottle or other heat source, as this is more effective and consistent.
- Note: The ESTROTECT Breeding Indicator should always be soft and flexible at application for optimal adhesion.
CHOOSE SITE OF APPLICATION
- Ideal location for placement on the cow is halfway between the hip and tail head with the ESTROTECT Breeding Indicator evenly spaced perpendicular to the spine.
- Note: Protect indicators from tail flicking by placing them near the top of the tail when fly counts are high.
BRUSH HAIR THOROUGHLY
- Vigorously brush with the grain of the coat across the backbone on the back half of the cow to remove dirt, dust and shedding hair. The ESTROTECT Rubber Brush is recommended, as it does not raise excess dust and oil.
- Note: Do NOT brush hair with a steel bristle comb. Do not use stiff curry combs for brushing or cleaning.
CLEAN THE HAIR
- Clean the surface area with an ESTROTECT Cleaning Cloth to remove any remaining dirt, dust, sand or sawdust. A painter tack cloth may also be used as an alternative.
APPLY THE BREEDING INDICATOR
- Place Breeding Indicator on the application site halfway between the hip and tail head. Press down firmly and rub into hair with bare fingers. Do not apply in rainy weather conditions.
CHECK FOR RESULTS
- As mounting activity occurs, the ESTROTECT Breeding Indicator’s silver and black surface – featuring the NEW Breeding Bullseye – is rubbed off by the friction of the mounting and will reveal the indicator color (red/orange, green, blue, yellow or fuchsia).
- With each mount, the silver and black surface will gradually reveal the indicator color indicating a true standing heat. Once the black Breeding Bullseye is rubbed off, or the equivalent area, this indicates the animal is in standing heat and the breeding protocol should be initiated.
If applied correctly, the silver and black surface ink will gradually reveal the indicator color as mounting activity occurs, indicating standing heat. Once the Breeding Bullseye or the equivalent surface area is rubbed-off, the breeding protocol should be initiated.